Thursday, October 25, 2007

Heaven sent!

Today I had my second official experience sharing the gospel with someone. It's sad to me that I haven't had more opportunities, or that I haven't made it a priority in my life to search for opportunities. However, now that I live in a place that isn't full of people that are already Mormon, or already have an opinion of the Mormons, hopefully I will have the guts to do what I know I need to do. I was playing outside today with my kiddies and there was a girl outside with her dog. We started talking and eventually introduced ourselves. We talked like that for awhile. She was really friendly and we were really having a good time talking with eachother. I don't know why, but I have this habit of making friends with strangers. Ya know, i'm one of those people that like, makes friends in the grocery store, or ends up exchanging numbers with someone that I meet at Costco. I think maybe i'm a little bit starved for adult conversation. Anyway, I just like to talk is what it comes down to. So, after chatting it up with this girl for awhile, I started to wonder if she was religious at all (another thing that I always do) The conversation was kind of winding down, and I still hadn't mentioned anything about religion. I totally wasn't planning on it either. That is until I saw the missionaries walking toward me. I couldn't believe it. I guess I said out loud, "oh there's the missionaries". I wasn't even thinking that she wouldn't know who they are. Then I realized that she probably didn't, and I told her that they were young men from my church that share our religion with people. I was just explaining how I knew them. Anyway, she then went on to ask me what church I belonged to. I told her that "I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a Mormon". She said, "oh, i've never met a Mormon". This kind of threw me off a little, but the missionaries were there now. I introduced them to her. The missionaries explained why they are called "Elders", because she asked. She then said to us, "it's funny that I should meet you because I have been looking for a church to go to since I moved here". Yeah, isn't that awesome. So then I did it, I just asked her. And the funny thing is that, it wasn't even hard. It was easy and natural. I just asked her if she would like to come to church with me? And she said, "Sure, yeah i'll go". So, she gave me her phone number, and I gave her mine. It was great. I couldn't believe it. I mean there's no way I would've been able to ask her about church, if the missionaries hadn't walked up at that very moment. Am I being silly, or is that not great?? Obviously I can't say for sure if anything will come of it. But I sure am going to try. I've really been praying lately for missionary experiences. And there it was, it just fell right into my lap.

7 comments:

Aly said...

That is fabulous! You are so great. You do have this incredible ability of making new friends! I've always thought that about you. You are so friendly and you make the person you are talking to feel like they are the most important person in the room. It's a gift my friend. I am proud of you.

Jennie B. said...

That is SOOOO dang cool! What a good experience!

Jen S said...

wow you rock!! go you. that's a great story. can you believe the elders showed up right then?! crazy!! hope she comes sometime. ps if you ever have the chance, go on splits with the sister missionaries!! it feels just like that!! :)

Aly said...

Carli. You have been tagged. Go to my blog.

Jessica said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing. That is really inspiring . . . I'm glad she received everything so positively! I hope she comes!

Angela said...

What a great experience, you'll have to keep us posted on how things go.

La Belle Belge said...

That is a really neat experience. I'm glad I met her on Sunday. We'll have to make sure to keep inviting her to our activities... Keep up the good work ;)